In order to prepare this recipe, make the stuffing first:
¼ cup chopped onion
1 ½ cup sliced mushrooms
2 Tbsp butter
Salt and pepper
1/3 lb bay or small shrimp cooked and chopped
¾ cup dry sherry
Sauté onion and mushroom in butter until lightly browned. Add salt, pepper, shrimp and sherry. Simmer until liquid is reduced to a glaze, stiffing occasionally. Cool.
- 2 whole trout, cleaned
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Dredge each trout in flour.
- Dip in egg and roll in bread crumbs to coat lightly.
- Carefully fill each trout with shrimp stuffing and secure with toothpicks.
- Melt butter in large skillet and sauté trout until lightly browned on both sides and stuffing is hot.
- Remove trout and keep warm.
- Add lemon juice and zest to pan and heat a few minutes until warm.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve over trout.