Seared Tuna Steaks with Onion Marmalade
The meaty tuna works nicely with the flavorful marmalade. Serves 4, but the marmalade is so delicious, you might want to double that part of the recipe.
Scrumptious marmalade on top of perfectly seared tuna steaks. The marmalade is so tasty, you might want to double that part!
- ¼ lb thickly sliced bacon
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 large onions thinly sliced
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup sherry vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp sugar
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 tuna steaks – about 5 oz, olive oil, salt and pepper
- For the marmalade: Chop the bacon into ½ inch dice. Heat ¼ cup olive oil in a pan and sauté the bacon until slightly crisp. Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions are golden brown – about 10-20 minutes – they should be caramelized. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, sherry vinegar, water, salt, pepper, sugar and cayenne. Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to boil until liquid evaporates. Keep warm.
- Lightly salt and pepper the tuna steaks.
- Prepare the tuna the way you like it. If you are grilling, lightly coat the tuna with olive oil before seasoning with salt and pepper. If cooking over the stove, first heat a little olive oil and sauté to desired doneness.
- This is best when the tuna is medium rare in the middle.
- Top the cooked tuna steaks with the marmalade.