This is a great side dish for a holiday meal or a meal on its own with salad and bread.
Before starting the recipe, make the white sauce:
Basic White Sauce:
2 Tbsp butter, 2 Tbsp flour, 1 cup milk. Melt butter. Add flour and stir for a couple minutes until flour is cooked and the mixture is thickened. Slowly add milk and stir until creamy. Salt and pepper to taste. A bit of fresh grated nutmeg in the sauce adds a nice flavor.
- 1 pint oysters
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 10 oz frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- ¼ tsp anise seed
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp bread crumbs
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup basic white sauce
- Salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Drain oysters.
- Melt butter and sauté celery.
- Add onions, parsley, spinach (about ¾ of the package is enough), anise seed, Worcestershire sauce, bread crumbs, salt pepper, cayenne and white sauce.
- Grease a shallow casserole. Arrange oysters in one layer. Cover with Rockefeller mixture.
- Bake in 450 oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle with cheese and a thin layer of bread crumbs.
- Return to oven for 10 minutes until lightly brown.