Andouille Sausage and Shrimp with Creole Mustard Sauce
A robust dish of shrimp and sausage in a tasty sauce.
- 1 lb uncooked, peeled deveined large shrimp
- 1 Tbsp Creole or Cajun seasoning
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1 lb andouille sausage, cut crosswise on diagonal into ¾ inch thick pieces
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/3 inch wide strips
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup low fat chicken broth
- 5 Tbsp creole mustard
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Toss shrimp with creole seasoning in medium bowl to coat.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in heavy large skillet over high heat.
- Add sausage pieces, cut side down. Cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer sausage to bowl.
- Add shrimp to skillet; cook until browned and just opaque in center, about 3 minutes. Transfer to bowl with sausage.
- Add remaining 1 Tbsp oil, onion, bell pepper and thyme to skillet.
- Sauté until vegetables are beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.v
- Add broth, mustard and vinegar.
- Stir until sauce thickens about 2 minutes.
- Return sausage and shrimp to skillet and simmer until heated through, stirring occasionally – about 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.